October 4, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts!

I have returned! Lest you were concerned, I have been busy (in a good way) over the last couple of weeks. Lab is beginning to pick up, but I've also been trying to keep some balance in my life, too. By balance I mean food. And by food I mean too much food, as usual.

So for my grand re-entrance, I have decided to share with you my take on ... Brussel Sprouts! Yes, thrilling. I know you're thinking, "I am so excited that you are telling me about Brussel Sprouts because they are my favorite veggie." If that is true, more power to ya! If not, then here's another attempt to convert you on a vegetable (remember my last attempt with cauliflower). Why did I choose this beloved green? Because, well, I bought a 2 lb. pack at Costco and didn't know what else to do. Yes, I have a Costco membership, and I'm not afraid to use it ;).

I have two secrets to delicious Brussel Sprouts: use the oven, and add pancetta. I feel like these are universal truths that should be held self-evident.

All ready to enter the oven!
The result? Pure deliciousness. Not to be confused with Pure Michigan.

----------
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
Serves 4

2 lbs. Brussel Sprouts, halved
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
olive oil
1/2 lb. pancetta, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the Brussel Sprouts, salt, pepper, and 3 Tbsp. olive oil in a bowl, spread on a large cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until sprouts are just tender and slightly crispy. This can be done a couple hours ahead of time.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and cook pancetta for 5-7 minutes, until browned. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Add Brussel Sprouts into the pan, heat through, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy immediately.

Some grilled scallops on the side (also from Costco) ... just because!

2 comments:

  1. Blue moon pumpkin ale is a nice touch, I made some brussel sprouts the other day a la thai sytle with heavy cream, lime juice, chili pepper, and thai basil

    ReplyDelete