August 28, 2012

Maple-Frosted Carrot Cupcakes

So my friend Xixi sent me a gchat yesterday - "Andrew, I'm making cupcakes for my lab... I need an assist, would you be able to help?" My response: "Uhhh YES of course! Let's do it!" Apparently our last foray into baking for her lab (chocolate red wine cupcakes) was such a success that she had to follow it up with something equally as delicious! Though I have faith in Xixi's baking abilities, she needed a little cheerleading from me to take her cupcakes to the next level. Note - it was all her, I just measured and mixed a bit.

She sent me over the recipe we were making - a Smitten Kitchen carrot cupcake with a maple cream cheese frosting. Ummmm YUM. I'm actually not super into carrot cake but I was in a mood so I acquiesced to her demands. So begrudgingly. This is what transpired...

Dry ingredients expertly combined. Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger - almost like a pumpkin creation!

Slowly add the dry to the wet ingredients, otherwise you'll make a mess when you try to stir it in!

I told you - CARROT cake.
All these carrots make it healthy ya? 
Whilst we were waiting - an orange-strawberry ginger beer cocktail.
The final product - sorry it turned out slightly blurry.
As with previous cupcake recipes, this frosting was TOO SWEET if you add the full 2 cups of powdered sugar - so again I cut it down to 3/4-1 cup. There's also already maple syrup in there, so take that into account when you consider your sweet tooth.

What's the cocktail, you ask? Simply muddle juice from half and orange and 4 strawberries with 3 oz. rum. then distribute amongst three glasses, and top off with ginger beer (my new favorite mixer). It's a refreshing summer drink with a kick!

So, Xixi, I hope your lab loves *our* cupcakes (though it can be our secret that I helped). I'm free to help baking again anytime!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious looking. I love ginger beer, too!! What kind do you get?

    ReplyDelete