August 26, 2012

Blueberry Baking Bonanza (Pt. 1)

...the first in a two-part series about a boy who baked way too much.

It's been said: When life gives you 7 lbs of blueberries, you bake as much as possible.

OK so that's not an actual saying, but I definitely can say I lived that mantra since deciding to go to a U-Pick Blueberry Farm in Dexter recently. I've never gone blueberry picking before, but I have to say it's really fun and a good way to spend an hour or so on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. And after earning your blueberries, don't you have a right to eat as many baked goods with them as possible? Another instance where calories don't count.

So what delicious goodies did I make, and how can you do the same if you're so fortunate to hit the blueberry jackpot?

Blueberry Oatmeal Loaf: Using this recipe, it turned out a bit dry (probably from all the oats). Next time maybe I'd cut down on the oats or add a bit more oil. However, it was delicious to eat with my next act...

Fresh out of the oven!
Blueberry Sauce: Think cranberry sauce but with blueberries. All the recipes I found had cornstarch which a) I didn't own at the time and b) didn't think was needed to make a delicious sauce, so I had to combine Ina Garten's recipe with some of my tricks from making a killer cranberry sauce. Here's what I came up with:

Makes 1 1/2 cups
6 cups blueberries
3/4 cup sugar (I started with a bit less and added more as necessary)
1 cup water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla 
Combine blueberries and sugar in a large saucepan, add water, lemon juice, and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer until thickened (about 15-20 minutes). The blueberries should "pop" and the sauce begin to turn a deep purple. You know you're done when the sauce is thick enough so that you can run your finger down the back of your spoon without the sauce filling in - note that it will thicken a bit more as it cools. 
Take off heat, add vanilla, and allow to cool to room temperature. Serve over cakes, roasted turkey (a la cranberry sauce), or even in a cocktail (blueberry sauce + vodka).
Mmmm simmering down. Hard to be patient while this is happening.
Blueberry Pie: Duh I had to make this. However, it's not as simple as you'd think to find a good pie recipe. Everyone has their own rules of cornstarch, sugar, lemon, everything that I was slightly overwhelmed with the possibilities. When I found this recipe, though, and everyone was raving about it (even my hometown TV stations), I knew I had my winner. Fortunately, by this point I had acquired corn starch and pie crusts in anticipation of making pie. For the crust, admittedly I did cheat - I used Kroger's frozen ones that I baked following package directions. But I'm a grad student, so I'm allowed a little shortcut every now and then!

It's healthy because there are fresh blueberries. Ignore the sugar and carb content.
If I had to do it again, I think i would cut down on the lemon or vanilla - having both in there was a bit funny to me, so I'd play around with the ratio. Also it does get better the more you allow it to sit in the fridge, so I'd make it the day before an event (if you have self-control!). Having fresh blueberries mixed into the pie was a really good idea, and made me feel healthier in practically eating from the tin. Almost.

...what did I make next? Stay tuned for part 2, coming soon to an Internet near you.

1 comment:

  1. I froze most of my 9lbs. I love love them in my oatmeal during the winter. :D

    ReplyDelete